Kid-Safe Bug Repellant Bracelets

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Unfortunately, summer fun usually comes with pesky bug bites. I, especially, seem to be a magnet for bug bites! 

Most bug sprays like Off! are made with something called Deet. According to this article from Parents Magazine,  "The American Academy of Pediatrics says that insect repellents containing deet are safe for children as young as 2 months. . . Although deet is safe for use on children, many parents prefer to use bug repellents that are deet-free. Natural repellents are made with plant oils such as citronella, lemongrass, peppermint, and cedarwood.

So it is safe to use Off!, but you can also use essential oils as a natural alternative (and it smells much better!). I was inspired to make these bug repellant bracelets by this post from One Crazy HouseI made my bracelets a little differently, but the idea is the same. By soaking a bracelet in the right essential oils, you can wear a bracelet to keep the bugs at bay! 
You'll need:
Using pinking sheers to keep the fabric from fraying, cut 2 one inch strips about 1 yard long. I put the 2 strips back to back so the wrong side of the fabric wouldn't show, and I single crocheted the fabric.


After measuring the wrist of my little guy, I tied the 2 ends together. 


When I made my first bracelet, I mixed different essential oils and witch hazel to create my own bug repellant, until I found this: Nature Outdoor Blend Essential Oil. It's already mixed and ready to use, and bonus–it's on sale until July 30th! Only $3.59 for a 5ml bottle and $6.84 for a 15ml bottle! That's cheaper than buying all the different oils and mixing it myself!


Just put some Nature Outdoor Blend Essential Oil in a bowl, soak the bracelet, let it dry, and it should help keep the bugs away for about 24 hours!



No comments

Credits

Powered by Blogger.